"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."
-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Friday, October 1, 2010

London= Heavenly City and hummus

I'm currently writing this from a shop that I have fallen in love with in one afternoon: The Hummus Bros.  This place takes a bunch of hummus, loads it with the topping of your choice, and then gives you a pita hot from the toaster.  It is a restaurant of my dreams, and maybe they have t-shirts that say "Give Peas a Chance."  So, as I write you this I'm feasting on hummus after a morning of exploring the town.  I feel that  I should introduce you to my new roomie for the next two months: Caroline Mcteer.  I know that we will be having many adventures together, so I wanted to introduce you right away (if you look at the previous post she is featured in the Bath Buns picture:).

London by night was an amazing first experience, as we all took a walking tour with Nick Radel last evening.  We passed the sparkling signs advertising the many musicals, of which I plan to see Les Mis very soon.  We passed the British Museum, which I place to visit multiple times during each week, basking in the many exhibits about the whole world and its history.  Our tour ended on Waterloo Bridge with an evening view of Big Ben and the London Eye sparkling with their lights.  The whole city was like a constellation of stars, each a point with its own sparkle.

This morning we awoke to the traditional rain and set out to explore the city.  It is a bustling place with so much going on and today we began the process of exploring up and down streets, attempting to create a mental map of the city... I may only remember about 3 streets, but I love the thought of exploring  continually, always with another corner to turn.  Unfortunately, settling down also requires me to begin the evil process of laundry and grocery shopping, but praise the Lord (seriously) we magically received a fridge while we were out exploring!  The day continues as I begin planning for the many city activities...Les Mis, seeing Big Ben (upclose), British Museum (which exhibits I must see), London Zoo,  The Eye, tours of theatres, scouting out free events, finding a church for Sunday, taking the double decker tour.  It is like going to college all over again, except a thousand times more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment